Sunday, April 27, 2008

MY SKETCHBOOK

When I started painting, I did everything free hand and on the fly. I still do everything free hand but I tend to get most of my ideas when I cant actually sit down and paint. Since painting grew from sketching and drawing, I thought why not go back to a sketchbook? So (because Im a dork) here is one of my favorite sketchbooks. And how handy it is to have it labeled so clearly. You know, in case I forget what it is. Is that my kitchen sponge? Is that YellowDog's leash? A baked potato? Noooo, its my SKETCHBOOK! Duh.....silly me. Thank goodness the thing is labeled.



Nothing super fancy and it is just from Barnes & Noble. What I love about this sketchbook is the large (but not too large) spiral binding and the paper. Ooooh the paper. Its a bright thick smooth white paper and it doesnt let my favorite pen (another post maybe) bleed through. I also found the super thick and strong covers provided the perfect set up when it came time to paint. I could prop up the book off to the side (safely out of painting range-usually).

So here are a couple peeks into my sketchbook and the paintings that came from the sketches. You will see the paintings do not match the sketch exactly and that is intentional. Sometimes when I go to paint I find that a part of the sketch stands very well on its own or maybe I picked a huge canvas and I need to add to the background for color or depth or I drew a couple sketches with similar backgrounds but want the paintings to differ more from each other.



4 comments:

Robert P. said...

It has been almost 10 years since you posted this article but it is pretty timeless. I have been on the lookout for people posting about their favorites. Me, my favorite is this sketchbook found online here for sale. I think they are a lesser known company but they have really good prices. Can you believe the price of some sketchbooks these days? It has gotten out of control. Anyway, good post. I hope you are still blogging!

Jahirul Islam said...

Thanks for your writing.

https://yardsignscanada.com

Lawn signs are one of the most affordable ways to advertise your business or event. You can raise your brand awareness and presence in your local area. Your sign on your customer’s property is almost as good as a word of mouth advertising. You get the best ROI from yard signs without spending a fortune.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing a great piece of content. Contact Online Bail

CIWSTUDY said...

thanks a lot for this education.